- Authorized on January 11, 1777 in the Continental Army as Gist's Additional Regiment and assigned to the Main Army.
- Partially organized in spring and summer to consist of 3 companies from Virginia and Maryland and temporarily attached as follows: Capts. John Gist's and Joseph Lapsley's Companies to the 3rd Maryland Regiment; Capt. Samuel Lapsley's Company to the 11th Virginia Regiment.
- Consolidated on April 22, 1779 with Grayson's Additional Continental Regiment And Thurston's Additional Continental Regiment and consolidated unit designated as Gist's Additional Continental Regiment, to consist of 8 companies.
- Assigned to the 1st Virginia Brigade, an element of the main Continental Army.
- 1st Virginia Brigade relieved on December 4, 1779 from the main Continental Army and assigned to the Southern Department.
- Captured on May 12, 1780 at Charlestown, South Carolina, by the British Army.
- Disbanded on January 1, 1781
- Defense of Philadelphia
- Philadelphia - Monmouth
- Charlestown 1780
if you can add or correct any information, or submit a link to this unit