1st Continental Light Dragoon Regiment

(aka Bland's Horse)

  • Authorized on June 8, 1776 in the Virginia State Troops as the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th Troops of Light Horse.
  • Organized between June 13- 10 September 10, 1776 at Williamsburg with recruits from eastern and northern Virginia.
  • Redesignated on June 25, 1776 as the Virginia Light Horse.
  • Adopted on November 25, 1776 into the Continental Army, assigned to the Main Continental Army, and redesignated as the 1st Continental Light Dragoon Regiment.
  • Capt. Henry Lee's Troop (later, the 2nd Partisan Corps) withdrawn on April 7, 1778 and a new Troop organized by Captain Addison Lewis.
  • Relieved on November 8, 1778 from the Main Continental Army and assigned to the Southern Department.
  • Reorganized and redesignated on January 1, 1781 as the 1st Legionary Corps, to consist of four mounted and two dismounted troops.
  • Consolidated on November 2, 1782 with the 3rd Continental Light Dragoon Regiment and redesignated the 1st Legionary Corps, an element of the Southern Department, to consist of 5 troops.
  • Disbanded on November 15, 1783 at Winchester, Virginia.

ENGAGEMENTS

  • Northern New Jersey
  • Defense of Philadelphia
  • Charleston 1780
  • Defense of the Carolinas
  • Greene's Campaign