1st Partisan Corps

(aka Armand's Legion)

  • Organized in the winter and spring 1778 at Boston, Massachusetts, as partisan corps under the command of Col. Charles Armand Tuffin, recruited primarily from foreign volunteers.
  • Adopted on June 25, 1778 into the Continental Army as the Free and Independent Chasseurs, to consist of 3 companies, and assigned to the Highland's Department.
  • Relieved on August 3, 1778 from the Highland's Department and assigned to the Main Continental Army.
  • Expanded on November 9, 1778 to consist of 4 companies.
  • Relieved on November 24, 1778 from the Main Continental Army and assigned to the Middle Department.
  • Relieved on June 30, 1779 from the Middle Department and assigned to the Highland's Department.
  • Relieved on December 23, 1779 from the Highland's Department and assigned to the Main Continental Army.
  • Consolidated on February 23, 1780 with Pulaski's Legion and consolidated unit redesignated as Armand's Legion, an element of the Southern Army, to consist of 5 companies.
  • Consolidated on January 1, 1781 with Capt. Henry Bedkin's Independent Troop of Light Horse and consolidated unit reorganized and redesignated 1st Partisan Corps, to consist of 3 mounted and 3 dismounted troops.
  • Relieved on March 11, 1873 from the Southern Department and assigned to the Middle Department.
  • Disbanded on December 25, 1783 at York, Pennsylvania.

ENGAGEMENTS

Site Map | Copyright © 2012 USwars.com,