2nd Partisan Corps
(aka Lee's Legion)
- Authorized on June 8, 1776 in the Virginia State Troops as the 5th Troop of Light Horse.
- Organized in summer 1776 at Williamsburg with recruits from northern Virginia.
- Redesignated on June 25, 1776 as the 5th Troop of Virginia Light Horse.
- Virginia Light Horse adopted on November 25, 1776 into the Continental Army, assigned to the Main Continental Army, and redesignated as the 1st Continental Light Dragoon Regiment.
- Withdrawn on April 7, 1778 from the 1st Continental Light Dragoon Regiment expanded to form Lee's Corps of Partisan Light Dragoons, an element of the Main Continental Army, to consist of 3 troops.
- Captain Allen McLane's Company assigned on July 13, 1779 as the 4th Troop.
- Expanded and redesignated on January 1, 1781 as the 2nd Partisan Corps, to consist of 3 mounted and 3 dismounted troops.
- Disbanded on November 15, 1783 at Winchester, Virginia.
Captain Allen McLane's Company additionally served in: