The 5th Maryland Regiment

  • Authorized on September 16, 1776 in the Continental Army as the 5th Maryland Regiment.
  • Assigned on December 27, 1776 to the Main Continental Army.
  • Organized on March 27, 1776 to consist of eight companies from Queen Anne, Kent, Caroline and Dorchester Counties.
  • Assigned on May 22, 1777 to the 1st Maryland Brigade, an element of the Main Continental Army.
  • Reorganized on May 12, 1779 to consist of nine companies.
  • 1st Maryland Brigade relieved on April 5, 1780 from the Main Continental Army and assigned to the Southern Department.
  • Relieved on January 1, 1781 from the 1st Maryland Brigade and assigned to the Maryland Brigade, an element of the Southern Department.
  • Furloughed on January 1, 1782 at Round O, South Carolina.
  • Disbanded on January 1, 1783.

FURTHER READING

ENGAGEMENTS

UNIT HISTORY

The 5th Maryland Regiment (The Dandy Fifth) was organized on 27 March 1776 composing of eight companies of volunteers from the counties of Queen Anne's, Kent, Caroline, and Dorchester of the colony of Maryland and was authorized on September 16, 1776 for service with the Continental Army.

It was assigned to the Main Continental Army on 27 December 1776. On 22 May 1777, it was assigned to the 1st Maryland Brigade and re-organized on 12 May 1779 to nine companies. It was re-assigned to the Southern Department on 5 April 1780. The regiment was re-assigned from the 1st Maryland Brigade to the Maryland Brigade on 1 January 1781. The regiment would see action during the Battle of Long Island (1776), the Battle of Brandywine (1777), the Battle of Germantown (1777), the Battle of Monmouth (1778), the Battle of Camden (1780), and the Battle of Guilford Court House (1781). The regiment was furloughed January 1, 1782, at Round O, South Carolina and disbanded on January 1, 1783.

Site Map | Copyright © 2012 USwars.com,