The 7th Maryland Regiment

  • Authorized on September 16, 1776 in the Continental Army as the 7th Maryland Regiment.
  • Assigned on December 27, 1776 to the Main Continental Army.
  • Organized on March 27, 1776 to consist of 8 companies from Fredrick and Baltimore Counties.
  • Assigned on May 22, 1777 to the 1st Maryland Brigade, an element of the Main Continental Army.
  • Reorganized on May 12, 1779 to consist of 9 companies.
  • 2d Maryland Brigade relieved on April 5, 1780 from the Main Continental Army and assigned to the Southern Department.
  • Disbanded on January 1, 1783 at Annapolis.

FURTHER READING

ENGAGEMENTS

UNIT HISTORY

The 7th Maryland Regiment was authorized on September 16, 1776, for service with the Continental Army and was assigned on December 27, 1776. The regiment was composed of eight companies of volunteers organized from Frederick and Baltimore counties of the colony of Maryland.

On May 22, 1777, it was assigned to the 1st Maryland Brigade. Re-organized on May 12, 1779 to nine companies. The 1st Maryland Brigade was re-assigned to the Southern Department on 5 April 1780. The regiment would see action during the Battle of Brandywine, Battle of Germantown, Battle of Monmouth, Battle of Camden and the Battle of Guilford Court House. The regiment was disbanded on January 1, 1783, at Annapolis, Maryland.

Site Map | Copyright © 2012 USwars.com,