The 4th North Carolina Regiment

  • Authorized on March 26, 1776 in the Continental Army as the 4th North Carolina Regiment and assigned to the Southern Department.
  • Organized in spring 1776 at Wilmington to consist of 8 companies from Salisbury, Edenton and Wilmington Districts.
  • Relieved on February 5, 1777 from the Southern Department and assigned to the Main Continental Army.
  • Assigned on July 8, 1777 to the North Carolina Brigade, an element of the Main Continental Army.
  • Reduced to a cadre on June 1, 1778 at Valley Forge, Pennsylvania and relieved from the Main Continental Army and assigned to the Southern Department.
  • Reorganized in fall 1778 at Halifax to consist of 9 companies.
  • Assigned on January 11, 1779 to Sumner's Brigade, an element of the Southern Department.
  • Sumner's Brigade redesignated on June 3, 1779 as Armstrong's Brigade.
  • Captured on May 12, 1780 at Charleston, South Carolina, by the British Army.
  • Disbanded on January 1, 1783.

FURTHER READING

ENGAGEMENTS

UNIT HISTORY

The 4th North Carolina Regiment was raised on January 16, 1776 at Wilmington, North Carolina for service with the Continental Army. The regiment saw action at the Battle of Brandywine, Battle of Germantown, Battle of Monmouth and the Siege of Charleston. The regiment was captured by the British Army at Charlestown, South Carolina on May 12, 1780. The regiment was disbanded on January 1, 1783.

Site Map | Copyright © 2012 USwars.com,