The 1st New Hampshire Regiment

  • Authorized on May 22, 1775 in the New Hampshire State Troops as the 1st New Hampshire regiment.
  • Organized on June 3, 1775 at Medford, Massachusetts, to consist of 10 companies from Hillsborough and Rockingham Counties.
  • Adopted on June 14, 1775 and assigned into the Main Continental Army.
  • Assigned on July 22, 1775 to Sullivan's Brigade, an element of the Main Continental Army.
  • Reorganized and redesignated on January 1, 1776 as the 5th Continental Regiment, to consist of eight companies.
  • Relieved on April 27, 1776 from Sullivan's Brigade and assigned to the Canadian Department.
  • Relieved on July 2, 1776 from the Canadian Department and assigned to the Northern Department.
  • Assigned on July 20, 1776 to Stark's Brigade, an element of the Northern Department.
  • Relieved on November 26, 1776 from Stark's Brigade and assigned to the Main Continental Army (later to Sullivan's Brigade).
  • Reorganized and redesignated on January 1, 1777 as the 1st New Hampshire Regiment, to consist of eight companies.
  • Relieved on February 14, 1777 from Sullivan's Brigade and assigned to the Northern Department.
  • Assigned on April 28, 1777 to the New Hampshire Brigade, an element of the Northern Department.
  • (New Hampshire Brigade relieved on October 20, 1777 from the Northern Department and assigned to the Main Continental Army)
  • Reorganized on December 23, 1778 to consist of nine companies.
  • New Hampshire Brigade relieved on August 19, 1781 from the Main Army and assigned to the Highlands Department
  • Relieved between October 10-14, 1781 from the Highlands Department and assigned to the Northern Department
  • Relieved on November 12, 1782 from the Northern Department and assigned to the Main Continental Army.
  • Reorganized and redesignated on March 1, 1783 as the New Hampshire Regiment, to consist of nine companies.
  • Consolidated on June 22, 1783 with the New Hampshire Battalion (see 2nd NH Regt.) and consolidated unit designated as the New Hampshire Battalion to consist of five companies.
  • Disbanded on January 1, 1784 at New Windsor, New York.

ENGAGEMENTS

UNIT HISTORY

The 1st New Hampshire Regiment was authorized as New Hampshire State Troops on 22 May 1775 and was organized as ten companies of 800 volunteers from Hillsborough and Rockingham counties of the colony of New Hampshire at Medford, Massachusetts, commanded by John Stark. The regiment was adopted into the Continental Army on 14 June 1775 and assigned to Sullivan's Brigade on 22 July 1775. The regiment was redesignated as the 5th Continental Regiment on 1 January 1776. The regiment would see action at the Battle of Bunker Hill.

1776 as 5th Continental Regt.

The 5th Continental Regiment was formed when the 1st New Hampshire Regiment was redesignated on 1 January 1776 as eight companies in Sullivan's Brigade in the Main Continental Army. On 27 April 1776 the regiment was relieved from the brigade and assigned to the Canadian Department. On 2 July 1776 the regiment was re-assigned to the Northern Department, and on 20 July 1776 it was assigned to Stark's Brigade. On 26 November 1776 the regiment was re-assigned to the Main Continental Army and later assigned to Sullivan's Brigade.

1777-1783

On 1 January 1777, the 5th Continental Regiment was re-organized to eight companies and redesignated as the 1st New Hampshire Regiment in Sullivan's Brigade of the Main Continental Army. The regiment was relieved from the brigade on 14 February 1777, and assigned to the Northern Department. On 28 April 1777, the regiment was assigned to the New Hampshire Brigade. On 20 October 1777, the brigade was re-assigned to the Main Continental Army and re-organized to nine companies on 23 December 1778. The brigade was re-assigned to the Highlands Department on 19 August 1781. Between 10-14 October, 1781, the brigade was re-assigned to the Northern Department. On 12 November 1782, the brigade was re-assigned to the Main Continental Army. The regiment was redesignated as the New Hampshire Regiment and re-organized as nine companies on 1 March 1783.

Site Map | Copyright © 2012 USwars.com,