The Long's Regiment

  • Authorized on May 14, 1776 in the Continental Army as a regiment to be organized in New Hampshire and assigned to the Eastern Department.
  • Organized between August 16-25 September 1776 at Newcastle as Long's Regiment, to consist of 8 companies from eastern New Hampshire.
  • Relieved on November 22, 1776 from the Eastern Department and assigned to the Northern Department.
  • Disbanded in July 1777 in northern New York.

ENGAGEMENTS

UNIT HISTORY

Long's Regiment was raised on May 14, 1776 at New Castle, New Hampshire under Colonel Pierse Long for service with the Continental Army. The regiment was stationed at Fort Ticonderoga and Mount Independence on Lake Champlain and fought a delaying action at Fort Ann, New York on July 8, 1777 against the advance units of John Burgoyne's army. The regiment was disbanded at the end of July, 1777 in northern New York as the one year enlistments of the men ran out before the main engagements of the Saratoga Campaign. Col. Long and some of the men of the regiment joined other New Hampshire regiments that fought at Saratoga.

Site Map | Copyright © 2012 USwars.com,