The 1st New York Regiment



1st New York Regiment was raised on May 25, 1775 at Albany, New York for service with the Continental Army under Colonel Van Schaick. The regiment would see action in the Invasion of Canada, Battle of Valcour Island, Battle of Saratoga, Battle of Monmouth, the Sullivan Expedition and the Battle of Yorktown. The regiment would be furloughed June 2, 1783 at Newburgh, New York and disbanded November 15, 1783.

June 1775: New York Provincial Congress authorizes the raising of four infantry regiments. Alexander McDougall commissioned Colonel of the 1st New York.
Fall & Winter 1775: 1st New York participates in the invasion of Canada. 1st NY companies are with General Richard Montgomery during the failed assault on Quebec City December 31, 1775.

January 1776: Second Establishment of the 1st NY. Alexander McDougall continues as Colonel.
Spring 1776: 1st NY garrisons the fortifications in New York City. In reserve camp on Bayard's Hill.
July 9, 1776: Continental Army in New York City assembled for the reading of the Declaration of Independence.
August 1776: Alexander McDougall promoted to Brigadier General in command of 1st and 3rd New York regiments and Connecticut militia.
September 1776: 1st New York moves to reserve on Harlem Heights.
October 1776: (Battle of White Plains) 1st New York Regiment sees action in the defense of Chatterton's Hill.
November 1776: (Retreat from White Plains) 1st New York make camp at North Castle. Third Establishment of the 1st New York Regiment under Col. Goose Van Schaick (formerly colonel of the 2nd New York).
December 1776: Capt. John Johnson's contingent of the 1st New York joins Gen. George Washington in New Jersey. The 1st New York participates in the Battle of Trenton.

Spring 1777: 1st New York Regiment divided and sent to various garrison posts throughout New York.
August 1777: The 1st NY under Lt. Col. Cornelius Van Dyck joins General Benedict Arnold in the march for the relief of Fort Schuyler. After successfully discouraging the British offensive, six 1st NY companies remain to help garrison the fort.
Fall 1777: Twentyfour men from the 1st New York make up the permanent guard for Brig. Gen. Philip Schuyler. 1st New York guard maintained through the end of the war.
November 1777: 1st New York companies reunited in winter camp at Schenectady, New York.

May 1778: 1st NY Regt. joins Gen. George Washington at Valley Forge. Becomes part of the 2nd Pennsylvania Brigade, and the 2nd Division of the Continental Army under Brig. Gen. Anthony Wayne.
June 1778: Battle of Monmouth. The 1st New York is part of the American left fighting under Maj. Gen. Lord Stirling.
July 1778: Washington moves his army to the Hudson Highlands. 1st New York encamps at White Plains.
Summer 1778: Capt. John Graham placed in command of the new Light Infantry Company of the 1st New York.
Fall 1778: 1st New York at Peekskill camp.

Spring 1779: 1st New York relieves Col. Peter Gansevoort at Fort Schuyler. Fort Van Dyck built at the Oneida Castle.
March 1779: Captain John Graham appointed Major in the 1st NY.
April 18, 1779: Failed attack on the British garrison at Oswegatchee.
April 21, 1779: Van Schaick Expedition against the Onondaga settlements. Settlements with food stores destroyed and prisoners taken.
Summer 1779: Indian and Tory harassment of the garrison at Fort Schuyler. Several 1NY soldiers captured and sent to Canada.
Lt. Abraham Hardenbergh scouts map and plan for second attempt on Oswegatchie.
Sullivan Expedition begins against Loyalist Indian Nations, 1st New York continues on garrison duty at Fort Schuyler.
September 1779: Garrison discontented over pay arrears, separation from families, lack of supply, and continual Indian harassment. Mutiny and sabotage plot by thirty soldiers of the 1st New York discovered and thwarted.
Winter 1779-1780: Supply problems continue. Morale down and desertions increase due to lack of pay, lack of supply, and threat of attack. End of enlistments further diminish the ranks of the 1st New York.
1st New York part of the Brig. Gen. James Clinton's New York Brigade, under the command of Maj. Gen. Lord Stirling.

April 14, 1780: Guardhouse fire at Fort Schuyler. Adjoining barracks torn down to contain the fire. Snowshoes and arms unfit for use destroyed. The fire is quickly extinguished, and the guardhouse is rebuilt within a week.
May 22, 1780: Pvt. William Conway leads the desertion of 27 men of the 1st New York soldiers. Lt. Abraham Hardenbergh and 40 Oneida Indians pursue the deserters. Fight on the Grand River leaves 13 deserters dead, and 3 recovered as prisoners.
May 1780: Sir John Johnson leads Royal Greens, Rangers, and Indians in raid on Johnstown and Caughnawaga. 1st New York and militia unable to prevent Johnson's retreat to Canada.
July 3, 1780: Oneidas attacked by Indians and Tories. Oneida Indians move to Fort Schuyler for protection.
July 26, 1780: Chief Joseph Brant and British forces present in force on the grounds at Fort Schuyler.
September 1780: 1st New York marches to Albany under Maj. Graham.
October 1780: The 1st New York joins the rest of the New York Brigade at West Point.
November 1780: 1st New York Regiment returns to Albany in response to British threats on the New York frontier.
January 1781: Reorganization of Continental Army begins. New York maintains two infantry and one artillery regiments. 3rd New York consolidated into the 1st New York Regiment. The 1st New York is again fragmented: Lt. Col. Van Dyck goes to Saratoga with 4 companies, Capt. Jansen's company goes to Fort Edward, and the remainder of the First New York remains in Albany.
March 1781: Four companies of the 1st New York move from Albany to West Point, and are attached to the 3rd Massachusetts Brigade. Col. Van Schaick, as senior Colonel, takes command of the 3rd Massachusetts Brigade. The 1st New York is housed in the barracks at Fort Clinton.
Summer 1781: In response to a perceived threat of British invasion from Canada, the 1st NY Regt. goes to Albany in June. They return to West Point in July.
August 7, 1781: Attempt to kidnap Schuyler in his Albany home thwarted. Pvt. John Cockley and Army Courier John Tubbs taken prisoner by the attackers. They are held in Canada for the duration of the war.
August 1781: 1st New York joins Washington's army at Dobb's Ferry. They prepare for a march south.
August 25, 1781: Pvt. Edmund Burke executed for his part in the June 1781 pay mutiny and desertion at Albany.
August 31, 1781: 1st New York with Washington's Army in Trenton
September 2, 1781: American Army marches through Philadelphia.
September 28, 1781: Americans with their French allies within two miles of the British lines at Yorktown. Col. Van Schaick remains in Philadelphia. Lt. Col. Van Dyck commands the 1st NY, which is in Gen. James Clinton's Brigade, and in Maj. Gen. Benjamin Lincoln's Division.
October 1781: American and French armies lay siege to the British forces under Cornwallis at Yorktown. Cornwallis surrenders on October 19.
November 1781- September 1782: 1st New York in camp at Pompton.
September 1782: The 1st New York, along with the rest of the New York Brigade, moves to Verplank's Point.
October - June 1783: New Windsor Cantonment
April 19, 1783: At 12:00 P.M.. Proclamation of the Cessation of Hostilities read in camp. Followed with prayers and thanksgiving. Celebratory fires lit.
May 21, 1783: Last inspection of the 1st New York Regiment.
June 8, 1783: Soldiers' discharges distributed.

Site Map | Copyright © 2012,