The 6th South Carolina Regiment
(aka 1st South Carolina Rifle Regiment)
- Authorized on February 28, 1776 in the South Carolina State Troops as the 6th South Carolina Regiment.
- Organized in spring 1776 at Charleston to consist of five companies from northwestern South Carolina.
- Adopted on March 25, 1776 into the Continental Army and assigned to the Southern Department.
- Reorganized on October 18, 1776 to consist of six companies (Captain Richbourg's Independent Company [organized in spring 1776 at Charleston with personnel from northwestern South Carolina] concurrently redesignated as the 6th Company, 6th South Carolina Regiment).
- Assigned on November 23, 1776 to the 1st South Carolina Brigade, an element of the Southern Department.
- Relieved on January 3, 1779 from the 1st South Carolina Brigade.
- Assigned on February 1, 1779 to the South Carolina Brigade, an element of the Southern Department.
- Consolidated on February 11, 1780 with the 2nd South Carolina