The 4th Virginia Regiment
- Authorized on December 28, 1775 in the Continental Army as the 4th Virginia Regiment.
- Assigned on February 27, 1776 to the Southern Department.
- Organized on February 28, 1776 at Suffolk Court House to consist of 10 companies from Berkley, Charlotte, Prince Edward, Sussex, Southampton, Nansemond, Brunswick, Isle of Wight, Surry and Princess Anne Counties.
- Relieved on September 3, 1776 from the Southern Department and assigned Stephen's Brigade, an element of the Main Continental Army.
- Relieved on May 11, 1777 from Stephen's Brigade and assigned to the 4th Virginia Brigade, an element of the Main Continental Army.
- 4th Virginia Brigade redesignated 22 July 22, 1778 as the 3rd Virginia Brigade.
- Reorganized on November 1, 1777 to consist of 8 companies.
- Consolidated on May 12, 1779 with the 8th Virginia Regiment and redesignated as the 4th Virginia Regiment, to consist of 9 companies; concurrently relieved from the 3d Virginia Brigade and assigned to the 2nd Virginia Brigade, an element of the Main Continental Army.
- Captured on May 12, 1780 by the British Army at Charleston,
- Disbanded on January 1, 1783
The 4th Virginia Regiment was raised on December 28, 1775 at Suffolk Court House, Virginia for service with the Continental Army. The regiment saw action at the Battle of Trenton, Battle of Princeton, Battle of Brandywine, Battle of Germantown, Battle of Monmouth and the Siege of Charleston. Most of the regiment was captured at Charlestown, South Carolina on May 12, 1780 by the British and the regiment was formally disbanded on January 1, 1783.