The 13th Virginia Regiment

  • Authorized on September 16, 1776 in the Continental Army as the 13th Virginia Regiment.
  • Assigned on December 27, 1776 to the Main Continental Army.
  • Organized on February 12, 1777 at Fort Pitt to consist of 9 companies from Yohogania, Monongalia, and Ohio Counties (comprising of the former West Augusta District).
  • Assigned on May 22, 1777 to the 1st Virginia Brigade, an element of the Main Continental Army.
  • Reorganized on November 1, 1777 to consist of 8 companies.
  • Relieved on May 24, 1778 from the Main Continental Army and assigned to the Western Department.
  • Reorganized and redesignated on May 12, 1779 as the 9th Virginia Regiment, to consist of 9 companies.
  • Reorganized and redesignated on January 1, 1781 as the 7th Virginia Regiment, to consist of 2 companies.
  • Disbanded on January 1, 1783 at Fort Pitt Pennsylvania.

ENGAGEMENTS

UNIT HISTORY

The 13th Virginia Regiment was authorized on 16 September 1776 by the Continental Congress for service with the Continental Army during the American Revolutionary War. The unit was organized on 12 February 1777 at Fort Pitt in present-day western Pennsylvania to consist of nine companies of troops from the far-western Virginia counties (now parts of West Virginia and western Pennsylvania). The regiment saw action in the Battle of Brandywine, Battle of Germantown, and the Battle of Monmouth. On 24 May 1778 the unit was assigned to the Western Department, and on 12 May 1779 it was reorganized and redesignated as the 9th Virginia Regiment. It was again reorganized and redesignated as the 7th Virginia Regiment on 1 January 1781 to consist of two companies. The regiment was disbanded at Fort Pitt on 1 January 1783.

Site Map | Copyright © 2012 USwars.com,