The Virginia Regiment of Guards
- Authorized on December 23, 1778 in the Virginia State Troops as the Regiment of Guards.
- Adopted on January 9, 1779 into the Continental Army and assigned to the Southern Department.
- Organized in January 1779 at Albemarle Barracks (Charlottesville), Virginia, to consist of 9 companies from Amherst, Buckingham, Louisa, Orange, Culpepper, and Goochland Counties.
- Reorganized on December 10, 1779 to consist of 7 companies.
- Disbanded between April 10- June 9, 1781 at Winchester and Watkin's Ferry.